Skip to main content

Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life

 Articles of Clothing: The Pandemic Mask


Nobody likes wearing a mask. I mean, seriously, there is nothing fun or classy or fashionable about a mask, though as a society we have made mask-wearing into a form of a fashion statement, as weird and twisted as that may be. It may be because I am a menopausal 53-year-old, but three minutes into wearing my mask, my mouth is wet, my upper lip is wet, and my nose is itching like a chronic allergy attack. I pull the mask down for a few seconds, and then I feel guilty for not having it on, so back on it goes only to start the sequence of events all over again. It is a sick “Groundhog Day” deja vu. But when does the uncomfortableness of the mask outweigh my responsibility to my family and friends to keep them safe? It doesn’t. There is no amount of pity to outweigh the fact that wearing a mask is more for others than for me. Going from selfish to selfless is a sign of maturity, especially for a menopausal 53-year old.


Saturday Sports and Sunday Church


It has become a sad reality in the Fall as college football gets in full swing that the wins and losses on Saturday determine the level of worship and fellowship on Sundays at church. Let’s say UNC plays Duke on Saturday, and UNC wins by a field goal. The next morning, the Carolina fans are sporting their light blue apparel, and the Duke fans are sporting a scowl akin to constipation or a toothache. Normally these friends sit together on the same pew, but not today. The once-close buddies are sitting on opposite sides of the sanctuary as if God had already divided the sheep from the goats (pun intended). The Carolina fans are singing “To God be the Glory” from the tops of their lungs while the Duke fans barely move their mouths to "God says you’re gonna make It.” Come Monday morning, all seems to be forgotten, but alas Tennessee plays Alabama next Saturday. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You just thought you knew everything there is to know about me, huh? Let's see....I am a teacher....check....huge Tennessee fan...check....hate raisins...check....a Christian...check...loves music...check...former hitch hiker....check..no wait...what? Ah, so you DON'T know everything about me! Okay, let's start with the latter... 10. I went to Europe the first time as a junior at Lenoir-Rhyne. I was with a family from LR, and then we also traveled with two guys from New York and a girl from Canada. Most of the group went to ski. Me...I tried skiing for 30 minutes and almost did not live to tell about it. So I went sightseeing, and how do you sight see in Europe? Hitch hike!! It was totally safe, and I was always with someone in the group, usually. And I decided it was best not to share this news with my parents until AFTER I returned from Europe! 9. I have a hard time telling my left from my right. I have to stop and think about it almost every time. Ask my husband and ...

Why? Where? When? What? Who?

     About five minutes ago, Tim Tebow and the Broncos charged their way into another win in the NFL Playoffs. Not only was it the first game with the new Overtime rules (which I am still trying to process), but it was another chance for the media to take a poke at Tebow's faith. Did you see the NFL commentators after the game?? Do you believe Tebow has what it takes to win another game next week? And their response?? Bowing their heads as if in prayer. Was this meant to put down Tebow...again....or are they beginning to eat their words...again?  For most of the season, Tim Tebow has been ridiculed, put down, questioned, and scoffed because of his faith on and off the football field.  So my question is...Why?      Why so much coverage about Tebow's faith in Christ? Why not share some "love" with other players who share their beliefs? What about the Rastafarian's (those with the long dred locks)? Why not pick on them about their f...

January 2: Back to Reality

    I went to bed last night later than I should - my brain would not turn off. I got up much earlier than I should have this morning- my brain would not turn on. Whose brain can actually turn on at 5:45 AM? I forgot how to get to the bathroom even though it was only ten steps away. The bedroom light was like a cast-off of the star of Bethlehem and the Heavenly host all together. I seriously thought of calling in sick - well not really, but it crossed my mind for a few seconds. Being blinded by the "Christmas Star/Heavenly Host" would surely count as a sick day.     I suppose my brain turned on 2nd period because my ADD kicked in with a vengeance. My lovelies were laughing at me, at times uncontrollably, and I suppose it was a bit comical. I am pretty sure I changed the subject seven times in less than a minute - a new record!     So, reality has definitely set in. Back to school....no more staying up late....no more getting up late.....wor...