Skip to main content

Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life

 Articles of Clothing: The Pandemic Mask


Nobody likes wearing a mask. I mean, seriously, there is nothing fun or classy or fashionable about a mask, though as a society we have made mask-wearing into a form of a fashion statement, as weird and twisted as that may be. It may be because I am a menopausal 53-year-old, but three minutes into wearing my mask, my mouth is wet, my upper lip is wet, and my nose is itching like a chronic allergy attack. I pull the mask down for a few seconds, and then I feel guilty for not having it on, so back on it goes only to start the sequence of events all over again. It is a sick “Groundhog Day” deja vu. But when does the uncomfortableness of the mask outweigh my responsibility to my family and friends to keep them safe? It doesn’t. There is no amount of pity to outweigh the fact that wearing a mask is more for others than for me. Going from selfish to selfless is a sign of maturity, especially for a menopausal 53-year old.


Saturday Sports and Sunday Church


It has become a sad reality in the Fall as college football gets in full swing that the wins and losses on Saturday determine the level of worship and fellowship on Sundays at church. Let’s say UNC plays Duke on Saturday, and UNC wins by a field goal. The next morning, the Carolina fans are sporting their light blue apparel, and the Duke fans are sporting a scowl akin to constipation or a toothache. Normally these friends sit together on the same pew, but not today. The once-close buddies are sitting on opposite sides of the sanctuary as if God had already divided the sheep from the goats (pun intended). The Carolina fans are singing “To God be the Glory” from the tops of their lungs while the Duke fans barely move their mouths to "God says you’re gonna make It.” Come Monday morning, all seems to be forgotten, but alas Tennessee plays Alabama next Saturday. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You just thought you knew everything there is to know about me, huh? Let's see....I am a teacher....check....huge Tennessee fan...check....hate raisins...check....a Christian...check...loves music...check...former hitch hiker....check..no wait...what? Ah, so you DON'T know everything about me! Okay, let's start with the latter... 10. I went to Europe the first time as a junior at Lenoir-Rhyne. I was with a family from LR, and then we also traveled with two guys from New York and a girl from Canada. Most of the group went to ski. Me...I tried skiing for 30 minutes and almost did not live to tell about it. So I went sightseeing, and how do you sight see in Europe? Hitch hike!! It was totally safe, and I was always with someone in the group, usually. And I decided it was best not to share this news with my parents until AFTER I returned from Europe! 9. I have a hard time telling my left from my right. I have to stop and think about it almost every time. Ask my husband and

New Year's Day 2012

Ah, the New Year. My least favorite time of the year probably because it always meant back to school after a nice, long vacation. Staying up late...sleeping late...Christmas movies...eating way too much junk...spontaneous trips to anywhere...watching daytime TV (not very thrilled there)...but NOT ONE MINUTE of school work! So now I am a hypocrite. There, I said it. I am a HYPOCRITE! I told my kids, upon leaving for Christmas break, to study everyday because we have exams in two weeks. And yet, I did not set the example. There's nothing I can do about that now. I did plan my lessons for tomorrow, but that is about the extent of the school work. Besides, I have friends needing me to play WORDS WITH FRIENDS! I cannot disappoint my friends! (At this point, I am checking my Kindle Fire to see if it is my turn to play...then Facebook calls...and ANGRY BIRDS are chirping...) Okay God, here is mess #1. We need to work on this ADD-thing. It really gets in the way.....oh look, Daisy found t

Fear of being "Caught in the Act"

     I must say that I could write a book of all the stupid things I have done in my lifetime and probably fill up the Library of Congress! No really.....I am notorious for doing the dumbest things at the most inopportune time.  This morning as I was driving to school, several of these faux pas (is there a plural of faux pas?) came rushing to my mind. Luckily I was by myself at the time this incident occurred, but the thought of being "Caught in the Act" brought feelings of despair and extreme embarrassment!  Oh well, here goes.....      Yesterday, I bought some of those flossing placker things that looks like a toothpick but have dental floss on them, too.  I actually spent several minutes at Rite Aid looking at the different brands and prices, trying to figure out what was the best ones for me. I chose one that was reasonably priced, had a rather good amount in the packet, and seemed a fair quality of placker-thingy. My purpose is to starting flossing my teeth after having